Cryotherapy is a type of cryotherapy to remove abnormal tissues in the body.
Dermatologists use these modern techniques to treat many diseases.
We will learn about the benefits of these sessions, and how they are conducted? What are the expected results after treatment.
What are cryotherapy sessions?
Cryotherapy uses extreme cold to freeze and destroy unwanted tissue.
Liquid nitrogen, argon gas, or liquid nitrous oxide can be used to treat a variety of skin conditions such as warts and skin tags.
Therapy sessions are also used to treat some types of cancer including prostate, cervical and liver cancer.
It helps treat tissues inside the body (internally) or on the skin (externally). This type of treatment is called cryoablation.
Benefits of cryotherapy sessions
Dermatologists at Nadara Skin, Cosmetic and Laser Center in Hurghada offer these sessions that help in the following:
- Pain relief and wound healing
Sessions can help treat muscle pain, as well as some joint disorders such as Rheumatoid arthritis.
It may also promote faster healing of sports wounds, as this helps stimulate blood circulation, which contributes to pain relief and faster healing.
- Weight loss
Cryotherapy sessions contribute to an increase in the body's metabolism, which helps to lose weight faster.
- reduce inflammation
Inflammation occurs as a normal response by the body's immune system to fight infection, but sometimes the reaction becomes excessive.
This leads to chronic inflammation linked to health problems such as diabetes.
Some studies suggest that cryotherapy can reduce inflammation from these conditions.
- Improve eczema symptoms
A chronic inflammatory skin condition known as eczema Itchy patches of dry skin.
The results indicated that people with this skin disease when they stopped taking medications and then underwent cryotherapy sessions that they improved by a large percentage.
But there are some side effects which are "frostbite" in small areas of the skin.
- Migraine treatment
Cryotherapy with neck-focused cryotherapy sessions may help prevent migraines.
- Reduce stress and depression
It works by massaging the legs, arms, or hips, which contributes to the removal of tension and promotes fluid drainage, as it stimulates blood flow to these areas.
Results include reduced lactic acid build-up, pain relief and faster recovery.
Other benefits of these sessions are:
- Enhance energy and body performance.
- Regulating the activity of the central nervous system.
- Promote better sleep.
- Improve skin quality.
- Treatment of retinoblastoma, a cancer of the retina in children.
- Treatment of kidney and bone diseases, including the spine.
- Contributes to the treatment of benign breast tumors called fibroadenomas.
You can also read : The dangers of obsessing over cosmetic products.
Advantages of cryotherapy sessions
- This type of treatment is minimally invasive compared to traditional surgery.
- The pain is less and there is no bleeding or damage to healthy tissue near the abnormal tissue.
Instructions before receiving cryotherapy sessions
Most people do not need special preparations before cryotherapy, but the dermatologists at the Freshness Center for Dermatology, Aesthetics and Laser in Hurghada recommend the following:
- Stop taking certain medications such as aspirin, blood thinners, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Limit the amount of foods you eat a few days before the procedure, if the treatment is internal.
- Take ibuprofen 400 mg half an hour before the procedure to relieve any discomfort.
- You can take a dose of antibiotics before your cryotherapy as a way to prevent infection.
You can also read : Cholesterol under the eyes.
Steps for cryotherapy sessions
The most common form of treatment is to sit in a cryo-chamber for 3-5 minutes at -110°C.
Some people undergo cryotherapy for the face, while a specific wand can be used to target other areas of the body, such as painful joints.
There are several different cryotherapy methods available through cryotherapy sessions.
The method used by the dermatologists at the Freshness Center for Dermatology, Aesthetics and Laser in Hurghada depends on the location of the abnormal tissue.
If the tissue is present on the skin, dermatologists usually use a spray device or a cotton swab to apply the freezing agent.
It works in the case of cancer cells or tumors, and the doctor uses an instrument called a cooling probe, and this probe can be inserted through a small incision in the skin.
Ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging can be used to guide the cryogenic probe to the tissue to be frozen.
The doctor applies a small amount of gel to the area to be examined, which allows the waves to travel between the transducer in the cooling device and the area to be examined.
Depending on the location of the cells, local anesthesia or general anesthesia may also be used during these sessions.
Expected results after cryotherapy
If you are receiving cryotherapy to treat an external skin condition, the following may happen:
- The treated area turns red but quickly disappears.
- You may feel slight pain after the treatment, but it will go away within 3 days.
- The treated area forms a crust on the skin, and it usually heals within one to three weeks.
If it is internal cryotherapy, it may:
- Pain in the affected area.
- Women having treatment on the cervix can have a watery discharge for a few days to weeks.
Cryotherapy for longer than a few minutes may be dangerous for you.
But don't worry, the dermatologists at the Freshness Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser in Hurghada are skilled enough to deal with these modern devices.
You can return to your daily activities after 24 hours of sessions.
Persons who are not eligible for cryotherapy sessions
Most people can resort to these sessions due to its many benefits in eliminating annoying marks and treating some skin diseases.
But there are some caveats, and some shouldn't have them such as:
- Pregnant women, in order to avoid exposing the fetus to radiation.
- People with severe high blood pressure.
- People with heart disease.
You can also read : Laser hair removal.
Side effects of cryotherapy sessions
There are no risks to cryotherapy, but some complications can occur, which include:
- Bleeding or cramping after treatment around the cervix.
- Nerve damage resulting in loss of sensation.
- Swelling, scarring, and inflammation of the skin.
All of these side effects seem temporary and disappear quickly with time.
But immediately contact the dermatologists at Freshness Skin, Cosmetic and Laser Center in Hurghada if you have signs of infection after cryotherapy.
These signs may include:
- The presence of pus at the site of the freezing.
- Fever of unknown cause.
And if you still notice a skin problem after recovering from the treatment, do not hesitate to book an appointment in our center to check on your health and avoid any risks.
Finally, you can enjoy the health benefits of cryotherapy sessions at the Freshness Center in the Red Sea under the supervision of the best dermatologists.