Botox injections to get rid of a gummy smile is the best way to affect the upper lip and improve its appearance.
Regain your self-confidence and restore the beauty of your smile with the surgeons at Nudara Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser Center in Hurghada.
Doctors always strive to help patients to be more attractive through continuous care and the best treatment methods.
In this article, we will discuss the causes of the appearance of a gummy smile, and how Botox works to get rid of it?
What is a gummy smile?
The smile is the mirror of the face that highlights its beauty and attractiveness, so you should always take care of the health of your gums and teeth so that they look great.
An ideal or typical smile generally reveals no more than 2 mm of upper gum tissue.
While a gummy smile may show 3 mm or more of tissue, people who have it feel that their teeth are smaller than usual.
Causes of a gummy smile
This condition lowers your self-confidence, causing your smile to be masked or controlled.
Protruding gums can affect your appearance, so Botox for a gummy smile is a great option to beautify your gums.
Common causes include:
- Long or enlarged gum tissue due to some types of medication.
- Excessive growth of the upper jaw which is known as vertical maxillary augmentation.
- Short upper lip as a result of some genetic factors.
- Teeth size and shape.
Features of Botox
The advantages of Botox to get rid of a gummy smile are as follows:
- This type of injection causes little discomfort, and you may not feel any pain at all.
- Recovery occurs immediately once the injection sessions are over.
- It is a good and less expensive option compared to other treatments and surgeries.
- It gives natural and fast results.
- The injection can be adjusted according to the desired results.
- Botox treatment to get rid of a gummy smile takes only about 20 minutes.
People who are not eligible for Botox to get rid of a gummy smile
You cannot have Botox injections in the following cases:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have any blood or nervous system disorders.
- You have a muscle disease like Bell's palsy Bell's Palsy.
Instructions Before Botox Sessions
If the surgeon at Nadara Skin, Cosmetic and Laser Center in Hurghada recommends Botox to get rid of a gummy smile, he may ask you the following:
- Stop taking medicines that cause muscle relaxants (muscle relaxants).
- You should not take any medications for allergies or those that help sleep (sedatives).
- If you are taking blood-thinning medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen, they should not be taken for a week before the session, as they may increase bleeding.
- Also stop taking vitamin E and fish oil supplements.
How does Botox work to get rid of a gummy smile?
A gummy smile can be easily and effectively treated with Botox, which contains botulinum toxin type A.
It is defined as a toxin that is extracted from bacteria, and then processed to make it safer to use.
Botulinum toxin is widely used in the treatment of various conditions associated with pain and excessive muscle contraction.
It is a non-surgical procedure that reduces the height of the upper lip when injected, so the gums remain covered.
The surgeon will apply a local anesthetic to the area about 20 to 30 minutes before treatment.
If you feel any pain, tell your doctor right away.
Two or more units of Botox can be injected into the area between the nose and the upper lip to reduce the appearance of a gummy smile.
This occurs by cleaving the bound protein SNAP-25, thus inhibiting the release of acetylcholine from motor neurons.
This eventually leads to a more natural, attractive smile by relaxing the muscles you use for facial expressions, and the vertical lines around the lips.
Instructions after Botox sessions to get rid of a gummy smile
You can follow the advice of plastic surgeons at the Freshness Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser in Hurghada, which are as follows:
- Do not be exposed to harmful sunlight.
- Avoid alcohol and strenuous exercise after sessions for at least 24 hours.
- Avoid bending forward or lying down by lying flat for 4 hours after the injection.
- Treated areas should not be rubbed or massaged for approximately 24 hours.
If you do these things, you avoid the possibility of Botox spreading to other muscles, which causes side effects.
Read also: Define and enlarge lips with fillers.
Results of Botox injections to get rid of a gummy smile
The upper lip no longer retracts, or rises as much when smiling, and you should wait two or three days to see improvement.
The full effect of Botox injections to get rid of a gummy smile is visible within two weeks.
A plastic surgery doctor at a rejuvenation center may ask you to follow up after 2 to 3 weeks to assess the success of the treatment.
The effects of this type of injection are temporary, including side effects such as an uneven or crooked smile.
Most people enjoy these effects for 3 to 4 months, and the side effects go away within 2 to 4 weeks.
You can use infrared or radiofrequency lasers to speed up healing.
Treatment should be repeated every 4 to 6 months to maintain results, and you may need more than one treatment depending on the required procedures.
You can also read : Rhinoplasty.
Botox side effects
There are some signs that side effects may occur, including:
- Unnatural or unbalanced smile
They occur when one side of the lips is normal while the other hangs too low or looks sulky.
It can happen due to excessive Botox treatment in the mouth and lips area, which causes the muscles to relax significantly.
This eventually causes one side of the face to stretch or droop.
- excessive lips
It is a sign that there are a lot of Botox treatments to get rid of a gummy smile or lip fillers.
As a result, the tissue stretches beyond the lip line, making it appear larger than usual.
- uneven facial features
Over-injection can cause the face to freeze as you have difficulty moving the lips, or certain parts of the face.
This causes your facial features to appear unnatural and disproportionate.
- drooping eyelid (eyelid sagging)
Eyelid or eyebrow drooping may occur for injection near the eyes.
- Temporary bleeding, with some light bruising.
- Minor swelling, as well as a headache after treatment.
There can be some serious side effects such as double visionDifficulty breathing or swallowing, voice changes, or difficulty pronouncing some words.
These potential side effects are seen in untrained or non-specialist doctors.
But the plastic surgeons at Nadara Skin, Cosmetic and Laser Center in Hurghada have sufficient experience in such operations.
And it's safe enough to restore your self-confidence, and eliminate the embarrassment of smiling.
You can also read : Surgical lip reduction.
Cost of Botox to get rid of a gummy smile
The cost of treating a gummy smile with Botox varies according to the number of units used, the severity of the condition, the expected results, and some other factors.
In conclusion, Botox injections to get rid of a gummy smile may help you to highlight your beauty and attractiveness.
Please consult with the surgeons at the Freshness Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser in Hurghada and get great results.