A loofah is one of the important tools that we have in all of our homes, and we can't do without it when taking a shower.
Dermatologists at the Freshness Center for Dermatology, Cosmetics and Laser in Hurghada recommend using it because of its many benefits for the skin and body.
In this article, we will learn about the importance of using loofah, the correct ways to take care of it, and some of its damages.
What is loofah?
Some people think loofahs are made from sea sponge or dried coral because of their rough, spongy texture.
But the natural loofah is actually made from the pumpkin plant.
What is the importance of using loofah?
The importance and benefits of using loofah are as follows:
- It cleans the skin with soap.
- Deeply exfoliate the skin of the body and face to impart a healthy glow.
- Stimulating blood circulation while taking a shower, as it expands the capillaries and blood vessels, facilitating the flow of oxygen-containing blood to the skin.
- It removes dead skin cells and dry patches to give you smoother and fresher skin.
- Naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- It helps to get rid of the annoying smell of sweat, as it cleans the surface of the outer skin.
- It removes dust particles sticking to the body, and reduces the pores that may become the cause of premature aging.
- The natural loofah also contains essential minerals such as zinc, potassium, iron and magnesium that are needed to maintain the skin.
- Certain types can be used on your baby's skin to keep it fresh, clean and germ-free.
- It contributes to the treatment of cellulite, which is formed as a result of some deposits that are found between the thighs.
- Keeps skin moisturized all day long when used in circular motions.
Advantages of using a loofah
- Loofah is available at affordable prices compared to other beauty products.
- It has no side effects and does not even contain harsh chemicals andParabens which may cause severe skin sensitivity.
- They come in different sizes, types, and styles that everyone can use.
- Suitable for all skin types from normal to dry to sensitive.
- A natural sponge (a natural loofah) lathers easily, which means you'll use less soap.
- It does not cause allergies and also acts as a natural make-up remover.
After we know the importance of using a loofah, let's know the correct way to clean it.
How to clean the loofah?
Attention should be paid to how to maintain the loofah after using it every day. Therefore, follow some tips provided by dermatologists at the Freshness Center for Dermatology, Cosmetics and Laser in Hurghada, including the following:
- Use a dry towel to drain the water completely and dry it, rather than hanging it, and put it in a cool, dry place outside the bathroom when you're done.
- The loofah should be cleaned approximately every week, as studies have indicated that cleaning a loofah regularly with a mixture of water diluted with 10% of any detergent, may reduce the risk of bacterial contamination.
- Dip them in this mixture for 5 minutes after cleaning, then rinse them well with cold water and dry them before placing them in a place to hang.
- Do not use the loofah for a long time, you need to replace it often, so it should be discarded every 3-4 weeks (any sign of mold or bad odor is also a sign to dispose of it immediately).
- If you want to avoid spreading bacteria with a loofah, completely avoid using a loofah in the genital area.
(Where it is the perfect place to grow E-Coli, and sometimes dangerous bacteria)
- It should also not be used immediately after shaving, as it may cause skin irritation and redness.
You can also read : Platelet-rich plasma for the face.
The most popular types of shower loofah
There are many types of loofahs that are used in the shower, including:
- Moroccan loofah
Moroccan loofah is one of the most popular types used in bathing, as it is healthy and beneficial for the body.
It effectively cleanses the body without affecting your skin, in addition, it can be used with Moroccan clay and soap.
- glove loofah
This loofah is made of cotton in the form of gloves, and works on exfoliating and massaging the body, and it is one of the most popular types used for bathing.
- natural loofah
Natural loofah is the best type of loofah that is recommended by dermatologists at Nadara Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser Center in Hurghada.
It has the shape of a cylinder, and it is suitable for all skin types as it is made of natural ingredients.
You can also read : skin tags | Causes and ways to remove them.
- soft plastic loofah
This loofah is used in the shower, especially after exfoliating the skin, because it gives a lot of foam by using a smaller amount of shower fluid.
- loofah badass
This loofah is divided into segments from the inside, as well as lined with cloth or cotton so that it is easy to use.
- natural sponge
It is used for bathing by people with sensitive skin, as it does not cause redness or irritation to the skin.
It can be used on the face, sensitive areas, and is also suitable for children.
You can also read : Deep skin cleaning.
Dangers of using loofah
- It may spread infections and some skin diseases when shared with others.
- It is a breeding ground for many different types of bacteria if it is not constantly changed.
- It may cause dryness and redness of the skin as a result of frequent use, because it removes the natural oils from the skin.
- It can cause sagging of the skin due to frequent and constant rubbing.
- They can pose some dangers. Once you hang a loofah after a shower, it collects moisture and steam, as well as dead skin residue, causing bacteria to thrive.
- The rough feel of the loofah can be too much, and it can damage the skin over time.
Does frequent use of loofah lead to the emergence of pills in the body?
Dermatologists advise avoiding the use of vegetable loofah, as it spreads bacteria, which in turn may exacerbate acne.
It can also cause rashes as a result of skin infections, so it is necessary to use a gentle lotion on the body.
But steam baths help in treating this problem, as the steam works to lighten and clean the pores of the skin.
Finally, and after knowing the importance of using a loofah, it is recommended to consult dermatologists at the Freshness Center for Dermatology, Cosmetics and Laser in Hurghada to determine your skin type and know the appropriate loofah for it.