You may have heard of Skin graft Used as a treatment for serious burns at Nadara Dermatology, Laser and Cosmetology Center in Hurghada. However, did you realize that skin grafts may be needed after skin cancer treatment or reconstructive surgery? There are several situations in which skin grafting is an appropriate and effective treatment.
What is a skin patch?
A skin graft is a surgical procedure in which damaged tissue is replaced with portions of healthy skin. The donor skin may come from the bottom of the neck or behind the ear. It is designed to fit the shape of the defect and sewn into place. This is an effective way to repair damaged or lost skin, but the graft does not have its own blood flow, as new blood vessels must grow before circulation can be restored.
What is the difference between a skin graft and a flap?
A skin flap is very similar to a skin graft, except during flap surgery, fat and muscle are also transplanted, and then the healthy skin is surgically connected to blood vessels, ensuring that the flap has its own blood flow. This technique speeds up healing and reduces scarring.
When do you need a skin patch?
Large, serious wounds need the help of skin grafts to heal. Other examples include:
- Serious burns and skin scars.
- Severe loss of skin from an infection.
- after amputation.
- Diabetic ulcers that do not heal.
- after mastectomy.
- After Mohs' surgery to remove skin cancer.
Skin graft complications
If you plan to get a skin graft, your doctor will review a list of possible complications, which may include:
- Skin graft failure.
- Infection at the donor or recipient site.
- poor healing;
- Increased or decreased sensation at the recipient site.
- Hair may not grow at the recipient site.
- Skin graft tissue shrinks, interfering with limb movement.
- A collection of blood outside a blood vessel, known as a hematoma.
- Differences in skin color.
Factors that increase the risk of complications may include:
- Age: Newborns, infants, or 60 years old.
- Poor general health.
- Use of certain medications.
You can also read: surgical suture"
Skin grafting surgery method
Before skin grafting
Your doctor will clean the wound with an antiseptic. Depending on the surgery, you may receive:
- Local Anesthesia - The surrounding area is numbed.
- regional anesthesia A large area of your body will be numbed, but you will be awake.
- and general anesthesia - you will be asleep.
Types of skin grafts
There are three main types of skin grafting techniques:
- Split-thickness skin grafts - This happens when your doctor removes the top layer of skin and part of the middle layer, and this type allows the source site to heal more quickly.
- Full-thickness skin grafting, the removal and transfer of an entire area of skin, is usually recommended for use in areas where cosmetic appearance is important, such as the face.
- A combined dermal graft is a combination of skin, fat, skin, cartilage or the middle layer of skin and fat, and is used in areas that require 3D, such as the nose.
Signs of complications
After you leave the hospital, call your doctor if any of the following occur:
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills.
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or discharge from the wounds.
- Headache, muscle aches, dizziness, or a general ill feeling.
- Cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, severe nausea or vomiting.
- No new symptoms.
You can also read: harelip"
Is a dermal patch the right choice for you?
Skin grafting can be a viable option for many reconstructive surgeries of the face, especially if the skin cancer has been excised, and if you are due to have Mohs surgery and have questions about facial reconstruction, please contact our center, Freshness Center for Dermatology, Laser and Aesthetics in Hurghada, we are happy to respond for any questions you have.
You can also read: Autologous fat injection"
The Skin graft It is one of the most indispensable techniques in plastic surgery and dermatology, as it is used in a variety of clinical cases. Here at Freshness Skin, Laser and Cosmetic Center in Hurghada, we offer this surgery with the highest quality and the least possible complications.